Outfit: Creative processes

Wearing a dress I made from self-drafted pattern and locally bought fabric, necklace c/o Good Looking Objects, thrifted jacket (similar short style) and scarf, sneakers, tote bag from Amsterdam

I'm currently in the process of designing a dress. I'm going for something summery, simple and possible to make up in a variety of fabrics that I have in my stash. It's not hard, designing a dress like that. And yet, it's so different from anything I've ever made.

I've been designing things for a living for over 12 years now. I used to be a graphic designer before I changed occupations and became a seamstress. Graphic design, I had it worked out. I knew how to prepare for a project, how to sketch, how to scrap and start anew, how to adjust and improve and how to finish. A lot of ctrl+z (or, 'undo') goes on in 2D work, making it very fast and, to an extent, quite simple. But, with designing three dimensional pieces that clothing is, I have recently understood that I have to work out a new routine. I was actually angry with myself for not being able to do sewing the way I would do drawing a few years back. But sewing is so different! The thing I had to do was admit I don't know what I'm doing --and then, with a clear head, just start doing something, whatever it was. Following my gut.

So here I am: my first attempt at my new process. A very simple piece of clothing, just a sketch of a dress, really. I wore it for a day and decided it needed some adjustments. So I made another one, with said adjustments. Then I wore it for a day and chose to make more changes. So I made a third dress. Which, again, needed adjustments. So I'm making those right now. And maybe --just maybe! --that's it. Maybe this is my new routine. Making things, then using them, then changing, adding, switching, adjusting. While the same verbs could be used to describe 2D work, the very activities are so different. So refreshing!

Wearing a dress I made from self-drafted pattern and locally bought fabric, necklace c/o Good Looking Objects, thrifted jacket (similar short style) and scarf, sneakers, tote bag from Amsterdam.

Photos by my boyfriend
.
Follow

Comments

  1. You are very hard worker with your sewing process. I love that dress just the way it is now... and that bike print.. lovely!! :-)

    www.kikabibi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment