Outfit: Always In Love

dress I designed, constructed and sewed, bag, necklace c/o Good Looking Objects, old beret, Clarks flats (sold out)

I wore this dress on a Valentine's Day not just because it's cute and red and kinda reminds me of a heart shape with the frills placed the way they are, but also because it's an extra special piece: one that I designed, constructed and sewed myself, meaning I am the author of it from the beginning to the end.

Since we're on the topic of love this week, I can't mention sewing, for it is a true love for me. I often find new interests and I like to dabble in all things requring manual skills but ever since I tried sewing, I was seriously hooked. Over the years, it's become a true passion and something that I want to dedicate myself to fully. And believe you me, that is big coming from someone like me, who is always on the lookout for another new artisan thrill.

So far, though, I was fully dependent on commercial patterns: those I found online and those I bought in one form or another. I would dream of pieces that I'd like to make but if there was no pattern similar to my dream... well, I would find myself in a dead end. But I found a solution to this problem and I've recently attended a clothing construction course! It was the best thing I could ever do for my love of making clothes. As it turns out, a passion needs to be nurtured just like a relationship would. I find that adding new elements to my work and broadening my knowledge keeps me falling in love with what I do.

I can't tell you how happy I am that I can do all of the parts of a big process that making clothes is all on my own now. It is such a great relief to finally be fully independent from commercial patterns and their inevitable shortcommings... full creative freedom is what I'd been craving for a long while now! Now that I have it, I couldn't be happier.

I hope you all can focus on the pieces of the world that you love, whether they be your work, your hobby or people close to you! Happy Valentine's Day!

Wearing a dress I designed, constructed and sewed, bag, necklace c/o Good Looking Objects, old beret, Clarks flats (sold out)

Photos by my boyfriend.


Follow

6 comments:

  1. Very cute dress with the frills and pleats! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so lovely! can't wait to see what designs you will come up with in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only are your outfits a joy to see, your words are also a joy to read. It's wonderful when you discover your passion, but even more so when you also get a chance to nurture it. (And this dress is adorable - my first thought was "where can I get one myself!")

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job! the dress is absolutely beautiful! and you look very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I'm just unbelievably in love with this dress <3
    Love the colour you picked too, Klara! It suits you very well!

    Alive as Always

    ReplyDelete