I made a dress

It's been some time since I last titled a post like today but finally a right moment came and I made a dress. I was browsing my vintage pattern magazines, looking for something new, something I'd never noticed before, despite all those countless times I'd flipped through these pages. I wanted to try making a button down dress for the longest time so I was searching for those in particular. Then there was this pattern in Der Neue Schnitt from July 1954, one of many drawings on the same page but it caught my attention with its girly charm. I decided to go for it.


I grabbed a wool/polyester blend in navy/black plaid because it was just laying around and looked like it would match this project. I usually spend a lot of time deciding on fabric but this time I was eager to start and to finish quickly. It looked like a nice, easy project. Then I spent two full days sewing. It turned out to be a pretty demanding task, if I wanted to finish everything neatly, which I did. Totally worth it. I love how good it feels to have this dress with seam allowances finished with nylon tape and with all the understitching done properly and the bodice lined with pretty light blue cotton and the collar reinforced with heavy interfacing for beautiful roll. Admittedly, I need to move the button which sits right above the waistline because it's creating gaping and makes it look like the dress is too tight while it isn't. It's super comfortable and I'd just spent my fourth day wearing it. Styled it differently each day which further goes to prove that it's a success: fits within my wardrobe seamlessly.

For the first time in a long time I feel accomplished thanks to something I'd sewn. I feel it's a big step forward for me, a level up of sorts.

I'm wearing a dress that I made from thrifted wool/polyester blend, an old cardigan from Holy Rags and a new necklace c/o Fate&Coincidence. The shoes are from last year, from New Look, the beret is old and the trench was a gift from my boyfriend last year.

*All photos by my boyfriend, Bartek.

Follow