My new old coat


A little over a month ago, I wrote that I wanted to go shopping-free for a year and I feel it's time for a small update. I feel like I'm doing good: since the beginning of September I bought a pair of boots, and that at a local manufacturer. They're great quality and I know will last forever, and that's exactly what I was looking for when considering my purchase. So that's ace. 

Other than that though, I caved in and bought the coat you can see in today's photos. In my defense, I needed a good wool coat. The ones that I have are already quite worn down and --my warmest coat is just 50% wool which proved to be way to sheer last winter. At the same time, a part of me was reluctant to admit that I'm not yet a stage when I can sew my own winter coat and I wanted a challenge. But then... Then I remembered one coat from last year that I couldn't finish because of my lack of skill and reconsidered. After all, if I was to waste a few meters of high quality, 100% wool that I have in my stash, I'd be better off with buying a new coat to last me for many years to come.

So, online I went, in search of a wool coat that would look attractive to me while having great quality. And I was instantly sobered. Well, you might not know that so I'll tell you this: coats that are 80% to 100% wool cost around $300-$400 and more. I certainly don't have that much money to spend on a coat, no matter how dreamy it is. And some (and then some others. And then there is this jacket.) are beyond dreamy.

When I came to my senses, I remembered a nice vintage store that I used to browse from time to time, called  Rags and Silks. I saw this pretty little 1960s half-coat with mink collar and large, decorative buttons and I was sold. It's 100% wool, the lining is probably heavier silk, it's the warmest thing I've ever owned and it fits like a dream. It is also vintage and so, ethically made and  and buying it is an environmentally sustainable act. All this good while supporting a small business. Oh, and it cost $16. So I might have broken my no-shopping rule but I also made the world generally a better place.

Seriously though, I'm happy that I bought this piece. It was a necessary expense and I think I handled it in the most reasonable of ways. I'm still doing my no-shopping challenge, although I might be a bit more lenient when it comes to buying vintage stuff --after all, the point of my challenge is to not shop at high street shops because I don't want to support fast fashion. Buying vintage, though, is a good thing in every possible way: you give life to clothes that could otherwise end up in a dumpster and you support small businesses and you buy great quality pieces that will last you a lifetime (thus, you won't have to buy another item like that ever again). You also get things that are unique and interesting to style. It's just so much win. So, if you buy stuff, go for vintage. It's the best in the world.



Zaraz przetłumaczę, przepraszam za braki po polsku!




Coat: thrifted, vintage, via Rags and Silks
Skirt:made it myself
Top: thrifted, H&M
Cardigan: thrifted
Lace overknee socks: old
Booties: Deichman, old
Necklace: Camaieu

Facebook Tumblr Instagram Pinterest
Follow

5 comments:

  1. Przepiękna, jesienna stylizacja.

    Ściskam mocno,
    www.NIECH-PANI-PATRZY.blogspot.com
    __________________________________
    + a u mnie: total black total H&M - zapraszam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I would definitely break the rules to get a coat llike that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely choice! Sometimes vintage really hits the spot :) Also, saw your feature on Modcloth! Looks great!!

    Kaylee
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ja podjęłam wezwanie rzucone przez Ciebie i póki co trzymam - w październiku i listopadzie tylko 1 rzecz w sieciówce. Więcej napiszę w poście pod koniec listopada ;) . Super jak zwykle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. piękna propozycja na nietuinkowy jesienny look.
    ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete