Vintage Tuesday: Mode und Schnitt, Summer 1961

So you see, I've been collecting vintage sewing magazines for some time now. It's a wonderful alternative for single patterns that you can buy readily in shops or on auction sites. The magazines tend to have at least a few patterns included --usually around 30-50 each though! In most magazines from 1950s and 1960s every pattern is only given in one size (there was a possibility to buy the same pattern in other sizes as a single pattern envelope) so you have to adjust if you like a garment but it's not your size. Still, there is plenty to choose from and tend to pick those that run in my size.

Anyway, looking through these magazines is a little hobby of mine. It feels like being a kid and left alone in a toy shop, allowed to choose whichever toy I like... Since I know some of you share this feeling, I've decided to share my collection with you! My collection is mostly composed of less famous titles that are harder to come by than, say, Burda (but are also cheaper). So it might be you've never seen these styles before! What a treat!

I decided to let you browse this magazine in Issuu-powered mode (you can download the whole pdf straight from the site if you sign in with Issuu). You just need to click at the preview to bring it to full screen mode and feast your eyes on the big images!

I chose this issue of Mode und Schnitt from summer of 1961 because it's especially cute and full of candy-coloured illustrations. It might be my favorite of all the magazines that I have. Just look at all those pretty ladies in sweet dresses parading at the seaside! Wouldn't it be fun if this was happening in our current times?


8 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, thank you for posting this! so much inspiration and the colors are simply perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! It makes me feel safe to believe that this series is going to be a nice thing to do :).

      Delete
  2. these illustrations are just gorgeous, it would have been amazing to live at a time when magazines like this were in abundance. thank you for all the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I agree! I'd love to have lived back then, of only for the fashion and these sewing magazines!

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed this so much, thanks for sharing! I was born in 1962 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! :D I'm going to find an issue from 1962 and dedicate the scans especially for you!

      Delete
    2. Oh that would be so fun! Yes please, and thank you! You're such a sweetie to entertain an oldie like me!

      Delete
  4. Amazing! I love every single thing in there.
    xo

    ReplyDelete