Robot with a heart

If you've been wondering about the name of my blog, you can wonder no more.

Yes, I named Robot after a cheap metal pendant that I had bought earlier in the year when I hit the "create blog" button. I probably should have a better story to go with it: you know, deep meaningful stuff about how each and every one of us is living in a culture that is driving us to do certain things, just like robots, but we do have our souls and hearts and personal voices and opinions and this blog is the reflection of this reality... yeah. That would've been good! Great narrative! But it's really not the case here. 

I just love cheap jewellery with a retro feel and I got this robot fella in some chain store (can't remember which one anymore). And since I was never good at naming things, be it my cat or my blog, I developed a technique that involves looking around and choosing a name based upon the first thing I see and like. Admittedly, it doesn't work every time, and our cat's name is Shark because, well, we'd found him during our holidays spent at the seaside and when he was a kitten, he used to bite everything and everyone in his reach. So: biting and sea? Shark, obviously! Right? 

But with Robot, it was the former. I had this necklace and I liked it so I named my blog after it without thinking twice.

Also, beside the robot necklace, I'm wearing the gingham skirt that I made and love just so much! It's a great staple upon which I can build many outfits --more formal and less formal, but all with this nice kick of yellow that I've been digging for the last year or two but never had a good chance of wearing. The blouse is another treasure from my Granny's closet and I believe it to be from 1960s. Love the lace detail there. While it is clearly vintage, I think it's also quite weareable nowadays without feeling too much. With the yellow skirt and a grey cardi for playing it all down, I think this is one of my favorite everyday outfits.

Skirt: made it myself
Pattern: none required, it's just a box pleated skirt made from a rectangle
Fabric: thrifted cotton
Blouse: vintage, from my Granny's closet
Cardi: old
Cat purse: allegro
Flats: Even&Odd via Zalando
Necklace: old
Scarf in my hair: found
facebook bloglovin' pinterest instagram tumblr rss contact

17 comments:

  1. I actually find it very interesting--the name of your blog. At first, it may have just been a small something that wasn't deep or whatever, but overtime it starts to gain it's own meaning and then you realize you wouldn't have named it anything else. That's kinda how my blog name is. I didn't think too hard about it but I wanted it to be perfect. When I couldn't think of anything, I just went with the two things my blog would be about--writing and fashion. And so hence came the name Sweater and a Pen. Sweater being fashion and Pen being writing. At first, it was just a name so I could get a blog started. But now, I love it and couldn't imagine it being anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same with me! The Robot is like a home or like a persona, I don't really know... but it definitely has grown to be an entity of sorts! Not just a silly little name anymore :).

      I enjoyed reading about your blog's name! Nice story :).

      Delete
  2. Właściwie zawsze najlepsze są pierwsze myśli i skojarzenia, człowiek tylko zastanawia się, jaka nazwa by pasowała a i tak zawsze wraca się do punktu wyjścia :) I faktycznie mnie ciekawiło skąd taka nazwa bloga u Ciebie :) A z tym kotem, to lepszego imienia nie mogliście dać, skoro taki "gryzoń" ;)
    Pozdrawiam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trochę tak jest, rzeczywiście! Pewnie długo się zastanawiałam nad tym, jak nazwać tego bloga, ale też z drugiej strony... nie miałam wobec niego jakichś specjalnych planów, więc ostatecznie imię nie było takie ważne :).

      Delete
  3. Świetnie wyglądasz :) Śliczna ta torebunia! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog name! It is so clever and unique, even if it was named after a necklace. :D I think that makes it kind of fun!

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brigid! I do think it now means a little more than just a silly necklace... somehow it's gotten a personality of its own!

      Delete
  5. Well, I thought at first that it was after Tin Woodman, the character from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, who was on the quest to get a heart, or as a response to the popular request on websites to prove we are not robots :)
    It is certainly a name that makes you think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, what a lovely idea! I never would've thought about the Tin Woodman but I love your interpretation.
      Also the other idea is very close to the truth because each time I want to sign in somewhere as Robot and I get the request to prove that I'm not a robot, I get this "what do you mean I'm not a robot? I *am*!". :D

      Delete
  6. Piękna spódniczka, a torebka przesłodka :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pendant. You should make a logo with it for your blog.
    The outfit is beautiful. I love every single thing about it. And that purse is sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, I've been thinking about redesigning the layout of this blog to better fit with the name but I'm still all "meh" about it and I like it the way it is. But someday I might!

      Delete
  8. To, że jesteś piękna i że masz niesamowity styl to wiesz. Pewnie to, że Twoje zdjęcia zapierają dech w piersiach to też wiesz :) Ale to, że Twoja kocia torebka skradła mi serce- tego pewnie nie wiesz :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously swooning over the photography on your blog; I just love the style. Also, I think it's absolutely adorable that you named your blog after a necklace. I actually do the same thing too often. I just have a hard time coming up with meaningful names, thus my blog name is simply my name (haha). By the way, you are incredibly talented with your sewing skills! I wish I spent more time sewing when I was younger. Instead, I am currently more concentrated on embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I saw your embroideries on etasy and I liked them a lot! Those hands with tiny little flowers are incredible and very evocative. You can always take up sewing when you feel like it! I bet if you would sew your clothes and then embroider them, they would be the most special pieces ever.

      Delete