I made a dress #9

Oh, the weather has been dreadful lately. I mean: no snow, no freezing streets, no real winter. We're not even below zero. And still, it's not sunny, not really warm and it's definitely not pretty. Now, me, I like pretty, I live on pretty. When it is un-pretty outside, I get sad and angry and everything seems wrong. I do honestly have a bad case of S.A.D. So to brak the vicious cycle of un-pretty, I've decided to make a dress that would be pretty and sunny and colourful. And here it is.


I chose the dress number 2 for the beautiful, vintage curtain fabric that I'd had for a year or so and knew I would need a simple pattern for, not to distort the large floral piece in the front and back. That simple trapeze dress was just what I was looking for and I was so happy to find it in a new addition to my vintage pattern stash. Alas, I had to fit the back with darts because of my scoliosis/kyphosis which causes the fabrics to wrinkle in an awkward way above my bum. So, sadly, the design in the back of the dress is hidden slightly. On the other hand, I'm happy with facings that I drafted by myself and bound with a bias tape! Also the hem is hand sewn with an invisible stitch. I decided against the white rectangular finish of the hem because I didn't want to hide any more of the fabric's design. I did sew the attatchment collar but I like a simple peter pan collar better with this dress.


The pattern came from a Polish fashion magazine from Summer 1969. It's nice to think that back then a lot of fashion magazines were including patterns for home use just because it was so hard to find ready-made garments in stores. My Mum and Granny keep telling me about those times after the war and before the independence when all the clothes they owned were sewn to measure by a tailor --not because they were posh or anything! It was simply cheaper that way. Oh, and btw., I'd recently acquired a bundle of said clothes from my Granny's wardrobe and I need to show them off to you soon.





Dress: made it myself 
Fabric: thrifted, vintage 
Pattern: Polish fashion magazine "Moda", Summer 1969 
Coat: Troll, old 
Scarf: a gift, thrifted 
Cardigan: Lidl 
Shoes: Pier One via Zalando
Photos: my friend Alina

31 comments

  1. Your dress is lovely, Klara! You are certainly a very talented seamstress. I really like the fabric and you definitely picked an excellent pattern to showcase it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been hoping to show off the design of the fabric the best way possible and it seems I've succeeded :).

      Delete
  2. I'm loving your dress, i think it looks lovely! I just stumbled upon your profile on lookbook and i think the clothes you make are so so nice, and the fabrics as well :) the colors on your pictures are beautiful too, and you look great on them. So yeah, keep it up, and see you around :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you for such personal and nice comment! I hope to see you around and I'll be checking out your blog, too :).

      Delete
  3. I love this dress. The print, the colours, the everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful! Both the pattern and the style are wonderful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alina! You're always so nice :).

      Delete
  5. bardzo pozytywnie ! świetna sukienka - super krój i wzór :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dzięki, miło mi :). Tak mi się zachciało koloru w szarości...

      Delete
  6. You're right Klara...this is an absolutely pretty, sunny and colourful dress! I really love it! It makes me want spring to come! In Italy we have the same "winter problem" this year...no cold and no real winter. Weird weather. And don't worry for the back bacause it's gorgeous even with darts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uhh, I really can't wait for spring! Not that I mind this autumn weather in the winter, really. I was never a fan of snow in the city. But more sunny days would definitely be welcome!

      Delete
  7. I LOVE the red sweater pairing. It just makes everything pop! Great work on yet another awesome dress!!

    SaraLily
    In a Nutshell...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's funny you mention that because I was literally scratching my head while trying to decide what cardi to wear with this dress and finally decided on this red number because I thought your words exactly: it maked everything pop!

      Delete
  8. that fabric is amazing! it surely makes gray days pretty ;) you did a good job picking a simple silhouette for the dress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's my first time with this kind of silhouette and I feel I did well.

      Delete
  9. Uwielbiam takie sukieneczki! Świetny wzór! Wyglądasz tak dziewczęco!
    Pozdrawiam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję :). Z Twoich sukienkowych ust to najmilszy komplement!

      Delete
  10. Lovely dress! This fabric is so pretty! Just love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's so nice of you to say!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful dress, nice choise for a simple pattern to show of the fabric. I like how you have combined it with the red cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wanted to make the simplest dress ever and almost succeeded ;). But I'm really happy with the result.

      Delete
  12. Wow, what a great dress, I love how you used this giant print. Definitely the right project to fight winter sadness!
    And dresses from your grandma? I'm curious :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I hear The Grandma Stash posts approaching ;). Cause there's more than just dresses. And all of it is beyond lovely. And vintage.

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful dress! You've matched pattern and fabric so well. And interesting snippets of history. I'm interested in your grandmother's clothes too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll be posting about my Grandma's stuff soon, can't wait to photograph all the lovely clothes and curios!

      Delete
  14. Wiosna - to pierwsze co mi przychodzi do głowy jak patrzę na te zdjęcia :)
    Jak ja tęsknie za wiosną! Świetna sukienka ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dzięki :). Wiosna mogłaby już przyjść, to prawda. I wtedy ta sukienka nie będzie już tak całkiem nie na miejscu ;). Ale i tak będę ją teraz nosić.

      Delete
  15. Your photos are so ethereal!
    The dress looks absolutely lovely on you, I love the print!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I love this fabric so much! And you look gorgeous, dear :-)

    ReplyDelete