I sewed a skirt #1


So far I made a few dresses and a copule of tops (which I haven't shown yet but the time shall come that I do) and since I've been moaning about having a plaid skirt for months now, it was high time I sewed one. So I did. As soon as we came back from our little autumn vacation, I sat down to my machine and made this lovely number.



It's funny how much thinking sewing involves. I mean, it took me a good few hours to decide what shape I wanted this skirt to have. Would it be gathered or pleated or circle? Short or midium length? If it were a midi, would it hit just below the knee or lower? I was googling all of those questions like mad and it actually made me realise how much the length and shape of a piece of clothing make you associate it with certain times and themes. 

So, imagine I made a skirt out of this fabric that was short and pleated. Nineties much? Pop-punk naughty teens in heavy shoes and ripped tights, drinking beer in a park and swearing while you pass them by, feeling like you've just been touched by another universe, even though you're wearing the same said heavy shoes and also like heavy music but probably are wearing a pair of black jeans and a band tee yourself. Don't judge me, that was my reality about 15 years ago! I wouldn't have been able to even imagine myself wearing that short skirt back then. I can now and that's why I abruptly decided against it.


I like my current reality better and I acutally love how in-between the 50s and the 70s this skirt came out. It's a half circle, very simple, nothing fancy besides the bold length of mid-calf that I'm really liking even though I was sure it would look horrible on me (my calves are very lovely but pretty muscular which I attribute to the heavy shoes worn non-stop in my youth). This whole outfit os very boho I think and I do feel good in this style in autumn.


Skirt: made it myself
Pattern: half circle skirt, made using this helpful circle skirt app
Fabric: thrifted
Sweater: made by my Grandma ages ago, a hand me down I received this year
Velvet shirt: second hand
Scarf: Voegele
Boots: they're nn and I can't remember where I bought them!
Photos by my Mum.

20 comments

  1. Spódnica jest super! I te zdjęcia - po prostu niesamowite! Jestem pod wielkim wrażeniem! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję :). Mama się ucieszy, jak jej powiem, że jej zdjęcia robią taką furorę ;).

      Delete
  2. cudowna spódnica ;) Pozdrawiam ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the skirt looks so great! I tried to sew a plaid skirt once but it looked terrible. I haven't tried it since but your project makes me want to start immediately. And I love this mid-calf length on you, it looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ette, please do sew one. It's just sooo lovely. I mean, it's not the most versatile piece (what can you really wear with a statement piece like that? Mostly black and neutrals, as I believe, and any other patter would clash, although it's probably easier to wear other plaids that dont stand out as much as this one and I don't really know what colour plaid you have in mind so all this ramble of mine is for nought!) but it's just too lovely to pass up. Also it's a classic, you can't really go wrong with plaid, it's never out of style. And a half circle skirt goes fast and easy enough to just sit down and make it in one evening. Fingers crossed you make your own!

      Delete
  4. Great to hear that you bought a Lutterloh-book, looking forward to see what you will sew from it. Does yours come with the ruler you need to enlarge the patterns? If not you can download it from this website (clicking the topmost image will start downloading the ruler and (sorry) german instructions as a .zip-document). And some patterns from 1939 and 1941 are online, too. If you like this era: http://return2style.de/duesenberg/schnitte/golden.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! Great link there! I was lucky enough to get the original measuring tape so I'll be all set to just sew as soon as the package reaches me. Oh, I'm just so skippy at the thought of it arriving!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Dzięki! Krata jest boska, ale już widzę, że trudno ją nosić z czymś ciekawszym niż czernie :).

      Delete
  6. Kolejna boska spodnica, ile ty ich masz? ;) Pieknie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spódnice póki co uszyłam tylko dwie ;). Ale sukienek już trochę więcej i kolejne w planach... chyba uzależniłam się od szycia, to taka miła czynność :).

      Delete
  7. Magiczne zdjęcia! Krata z tym swetrem daje genialny efekt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. kolejna genialna spódnica... zachwycasz!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am obsessed with this skirt. Now I have to make my own plaid half-circle skirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. so great skirt looked lovely really

    ReplyDelete