I made myself a dress #4


Here comes another fruit of a few evenings' work. This dress was quite a handful, I must say! I made the muslin first a few weeks ago and decided it was way too big for my bust (the pattern was marked size 92, meaning it was meant for a bust measurment of 92 cm, which is around 4 cm larger than my humble bosom) . As I didn't have my mannequin around, I decided to wait until I come back home and then adjust the pattern.

Then, when I came back home, I pinned eveything nicely to the manneqin, made alterations to the pattern, fitted the bodice a few times during sewing, was happy with the results and then, when it was all finished, zip inserted, skirt sewn on... BAM! The bust is still too large! I have no idea what had happened along the way, especially that the waist is spot on.


...well, it's not really spot on. I mean, it is in terms of measurements but I've sewn it in skewed and only noticed after the hemming was already done. Oh well. So it's not perfect, so what! I've done it for myself so I can live with that.

I also chose to make the dress my own way so I used the pattern from this dress but had to alter it to make it fit with a side zipper instead of one in the back. There are two large panels - one in the front and one in the back - and four smaller ones, two on each side. They are shaped like triangles curved at waist and hem so the dress hangs beautifully. I decided to add large box pleats this time, instead of my usual gathered skirt the pattern was calling for.



Take a look at the original photo and drawing from Praktische Mode 5/1961. The dress was supposed to be made with checkered fabric and I would have loved to do it that way but I did get my hands on a piece of absolutely lovely cherry-themed fabric that I decided cried for a cutesy dress like this one.


Oh, and one more thing: I lined it! There were no instructions for the pattern so I just figured out how to do it on my own. I'm so proud of myself!

To już czwarta sukienka, jaką sobie uszyłam. W sumie to chyba siódma rzecz, jaką uszyłam w ogóle. Jestem bardzo zadowolona z całokształtu: sukienka ma podszewkę, sama zbudowałam kształt jej spódnicy, zmniejszyłam jej rozmiar i wymyśliłam jak w ogóle ją szyć, bo wykrój, z którego skorzystałam, nie miał instrukcji.

Ale nie obeszło się bez dramatów. Skończona, śliczna sukienka z ręcznie wszytym suwakiem (najładniejszym, jaki do tej pory wszyłam) okazała się za duża w biuście! Mimo że przymierzałam ją na wielu etapach, a nawet uszyłam jej pierwowzór z cienkiej bawełenki, żeby sprawdzić co i jak trzeba poprawić, mimo że zmniejszyłam wykrój i wszystko w trakcie szycia pasowało - ostatecznie w biuście wcale nie ma takiego idealnego przylegania jak na zdjęciu z magazynu powyżej. Ba, jest tam całkiem sporo powietrza, które sobie hula i świszczy. Z niesmakiem dodałam dwie zaszewki po bokach, na wierzchu, żeby jakoś to do mnie pasowało, bo przecież zamierzam tę sukienkę nosić. Pozostaje mi mieć nadzieję, że nikt nie będzie zwracał uwagi na te błędy dyletantki, a jeśli już zwróci, to przecież właśnie dyletanctwem i partactwem mogę się bezpiecznie wymówić. Na szczęście uszytek jest dla mnie, a nie dla kogoś innego - w przeciwnym wypadku szyłabym od nowa, bo przecież nie można tak zepsuć czyjegoś ubrania! Ale swoje... co tam.

Dress: made it myself
Pattern: Praktische Mode 5/1961, number 6608
Fabric: thrifted
Heels: Hush Puppies via Zalando

14 comments

  1. ładnie wyglądasz;)
    pozdrawiam woman-with-class.bligspot.com ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. kojarzysz blog Marchewkowej?
    wyście się powinny jakoś skrzyknąć i razem jakiś biznes otworzyć, bo pasujecie do siebie stylem i wyczuciem gustu :)!

    P.S. dostałaś moją odpowiedź na wiadomość na MP :>?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasne, że kojarzę! Uwielbiam i jestem cichym skrytoczytaczem. Jeszcze mi daleko do jej umiejętności. Ale dotrę tam kiedyś, powoli ;).

      Nie dostałam! Tam jest coś dziwnego z tymi wiadomościami. Napisz, proszę na mrs.jazz(at)gmail.com.

      Delete
    2. poszło :>

      wiesz, ja to coś tam szyję, ale generalnie szyciowy laik ze mnie, dla mnie jesteście pod względem poziomu podobne ;)

      Delete
  3. Sukieneczka prześliczna, właśnie takie wzorki lubię :) Pstrokacizna górą! :D
    Pozdrawiam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O tak! Florale, wzory owocowe ("fruitale" albo "owocale", hm?) i inne takie mocne, retro rysunki to jest to :).

      Delete
  4. This dress is absolutely gorgeous! I love that you made it yourself and the fabric you picked is so sweet! Great job on lining it too!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you love! I loved that fabric when I saw it in an on-line thrift store, I just had to buy it! And I knew right away what kind of dress I want to make from it.

      Delete
  5. Hi! I think it's a really good job. I use the German Lutterloh patterns and there is very little ease to those pattern. I can't understand German or other languages, just English. What you may consider for next time is doing some bust darts from the side to the point of the bust. On a DVD from Bruce Oleyar, he instructs that to sew darts well, you should set your needle one space short of the dart bust and then backstitch once and then stitch FORWARD to the edge of the side seam to complete the dart. That way, you don't get any puckers at the point of the bust dart and also the bust dart is locked. Thank you! Kathy from Arizona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathy! Thanks for your comment. Love that tip about sewing darts, I'm definitely going to do it precisely how you described. Thank you!

      Delete