The rain

The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.
- Charles Bowen

This is one of my favorite quotes in English. It's funny, tongue-in-cheek and very smart. There is something about rain that makes it so easy to write about, don't you think? I also like how Tom Waits comes up with those rainy days and nights in his songs, like in A Sweet Little Bullet From a Pretty Blue Gun. You can really almost feel the raindrops falling on your hair and back when you listen to this song. I actually always have loved all kinds of narrativity (is there such a word?) -- in music, songs, paintings, photos and clothes alike. I'm a sucker for a good story.

Yesterday I was complaining about the heat and the same day we had a major storm and heavy, pouring rain. I have this gargantuan umbrella my parents got during their stay in Nigeria in 1980s. I also have this dress printed in small umbrellas. There are also these deep blue flats dotted with metal circles that remind me of raindrops. Could  there be a more fitting outfit for a weather like that?






Dress: second hand
Flats: no name
Umbrella: vintage from Nigeria
Cat: my youngest, Alojz

4 comments: