I made myself a dress #2

Well, it's been busy few weeks, that with moving to my mother's to take care of her cat while she's away, finishing my project before going on hiatus till October, sudden appearance of a stray puppy at our house and all the turmoil it causes, and all the stuff that has been happening along the way. I also got my hands on a few vintage sewing magazines from late 50s and early 60s. And while the constant spinning of things and people and animals around me doesn't seem to cease, I still managed to cut out some time and sew two dresses. 
The pattern came with no instructions and since I'm not an experienced seamstress, I got quite a lot of trouble, especially with those weird sleeves. I also scavenged the internet for clues how to sew them on but found no help. So I just fugured out I'd sew them in the best way I can think of and never let anyone see the inside of the dress which, by the way, looks all messed up. The outside, on the other hand, looks a OK. And  since that was what I was looking for, I'm pretty happy with the result.


You can see the original drawing below, marked as Abb. 1. I decided to remove the pleats in the upper part of the bodice --they made the bodice way too loose for my liking (and my bust).

Take a look at the close up of the fabric. Lovely cotton printed with different herbs and their names. When I saw it, I had to buy it and sew a dress with it. It was easy to sew with, not much fringing, no slipping. It's not the most lightweight fabric out there and woven a little loosely but that's ok.


Dress: made it myself
Pattern: Praktische Mode 5/61, Abb. 1.
Fabric: bought on Allegro/PASMASZ

9 comments

  1. Piękna ta sukienka, czy możesz mi powiedzieć, skąd pochodzi materiał? Jest świetny, chętnie bym kupiła taki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dzięki! Materiał kupiłam na koncie allegro firmy www.pasmasz.pl.

      Delete
  2. I just found your blog from wesewretro. Your dress is stunning. The fabric is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved the fabric the moment I laid my eyes on it. It's just so different! I love florals but I must say I love herbals more than anything :).

      Delete

  3. Would you mind me featuring any of your projects on SSB? I credit, link to your blog post and let you know when featured.
    https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that would be lovely! Thanks for asking and feel free to include my sewing projects on your site! You may want to look at my posts tagged "sewing" - http://therobotthathad.blogspot.com/search/label/sewing - to find whatever you like best.

      Tell me how I can return the favour, please!

      All the best,
      Klara

      Delete
  4. Thanks Klara. I will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Featured on Sassy Sewing Bees https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees ❀

    ReplyDelete
  6. you always seem to have the best fabrics, love them!

    ReplyDelete