Random inspirations from fashion history

I'm sorry I've been silent for the last week. I guess work was overwhelming since I've been making the last improvements in the latest book I'd been designing. It's always a huge rush before it gets sent to the publisher and printer. Even after seven years of doing it (can't believe it's already been that long!), I get the creeps when sending the final files to print. You know, printing costs from umpteen thousand Polish zlotys and way up, and, well, my pay is quite mediocre in comparison. If something goes wrong and I get blamed for it... that thought sometimes brings me nightmares.

Buuut! Enough about that. Fortunately, I still have the evenings for doing the things I like, like finding interesting things about the everyday life of the slightly older days. And here is one that is absolutely stunning.

It's a blog by one charming and clever lady who is a collector of things of old that we would nowadays call "curios" while in their time, they were actually quite the common thing. She is mostly focused on the little, usually unseen things that developed around contemporary lifestyles and fashion industry: the hosiery, the lingerie and other such stuff. She also interests herself with small, patented items of the old days. Like the perfumette which, I think, is a beautiful invention. I'd use it if I had one. And the blouse tender. Let me say one word: ingenious. No more problems with getting the blouses to stay tucked in your skirt.
Seeing things like that brings to my mind one question: why don't they last? Why is there no blouse tender around when the fashion seems to be obsessed with the retro blouse-in-high-waisted-skirt look?

Other findings include the wristlet for comfortable crocheting (I'd love this one for personal use, I hate it when the ball of yarn runs away, clearly to my cats' delight), a very useful book titled "How to do things" which describes how to caponize the cockerels, among others (and let me tell you I have no idea what that means but I love how it sounds), hand-made coat hangers for the times when those things weren't commonly adopted by coat makers, and, last but not least, a pattern for a nifty blouse from 1935 which I'm definitely going to sew, it's beautiful.

Go visit! It's worth it.

Comments

Post a Comment